Sunday 8 June 2008

Living The Fast Life

Victoria is leaving tomorrow (or actually today), I got a new housemate, I got back from Scotland, and I attended Arts Fest which was a blast. Tuesday morning I woke up early to pick up Véronique at 4.45 to be able to catch the coach of 5.45. We got in London something like two hours later and because we had some time left before having to take the Easybus, we went to Starbucks for an espresso and a Mango Passion fruit drink (for me of course). It was raining a bit and already crowded with people going to their everyday job. After our drink we went to the Easybus which would take us to Stansted where we took the plane to Glasgow. We ended up running to the gate as goign to the toilet before and having our luggage checked took all a bit longer than expected. However, our plane was late, almost one hour. But we managed to wait and be patient. In Glasgow we took the train and the weather was already pretty nice. We were very lucky, 'cause it was sunny. So sunny that I could walk around in my T-shirt. We walked around with a map with things to visit, so we saw a lot of things. Then we went to this teahouse where we had a tea and I had a bowl of muesli. I expected something very special, but the muesli was actually pretty basic. But it was fine though. We stayed in Glasgow until some minutes before 7. Around that time we had to take the bus to Edinburgh where we would stay for the night. Arriving in Edinburgh, at first it didn't seem as that much of a cool place and less nice than Glasgow. But this was because of the way the bus took and the place where we entered the city. After getting off the bus and meeting Jan, Karin, Jan's girlfriend and another friend of theirs, we walked on and discovered the beauty of Edinburgh. It was a real coincidence meeting Jan as we knew they would go back the day we would arrive and therefore would be unable to meet, but never did I expect to just run in to them casually on the street. Such a small world. We wanted to eat somewhere and because Jan and the others had just eaten, they suggested we should go to the same place, which was a Chinese restaurant. Véronique and I both had a soup and as a desert Véro had this lemon filled with ice-cream which she really enjoyed and I had an apple fritter, which were some fried pieces of apple coated with some kind of honey sauce. It was delicious and I enjoyed every bite. We then went to look for the hostel which, as the directions indicated, realy happened to be close to the Edinburgh castle. Our hostel was called Castle Rock and was oh so good. Such a nice place. You could bring your entire family if you want, that's how clean it is, how big and neat, well organized. I only have positive things to say about the place. It was so much better than the hostel I slept in during those 5 days in London. The bathroom was mixed, which was a good thing, so Véronique and I could go take a shower at the same time without having to wait for each other as we only had one key for our room. So no shower in the bedroom, which was a room for something like 13 people, but only like four or six others were staying in the same room with us. A great thing was that the room had lockers so you felt very safe as well. And it's less of a mess, because everyone almost puts all their stuff away. So I had a very good night in the hostel and would love to go back. The pictures which I will post later will show you how nice it was. Now I'm going to bed. It's getting late and it would be way too much to write about the other days right now as well. Sweet dreams. I'm out. It's strange though how we are now even with less people left now we're back. It's already not the same without Dennis. Things change.

No comments: