Saturday 1 December 2007

A Bit Guilty

So yesterday I finally did manage to get my essay at the Film Office after I already went by there two times. I got 60% which is very good, so I'm really pleased. Now I only have to do another essay for January the 14th. I already did my presentation of which I only have to hand in my written version 13 Decemeber. I should have gone to boxing class late in the afternoon, and yes i feel a little bit guilty, 'cause I didn't go. The thing is it's on Friday. And every now and then and especially here in Canterbury, I just like to do nothing after a Friday's seminar. Just celebrate it's weekend and set my mind to rest. Before I made my decision, though, I checked my e-mail to see if Clement had replied to a message I had sent him. On Thursday he didn't feel well, so I was expecting that maybe he would not feel too good to go to boxing, but maybe he did, so I told him I would pick him up if he would go and else not. Turned out he indeed felt too ill to go to boxing class, so I know it's bad, but then i thought, okay, I will just go into town and have some fun with me myself and I. If he would have gone then I would have came to pick him up to go to class, but he didn't so then I decided to skip class. Next week, though, is our last lesson, as the Friday after we will be going to London. Before I went into town though, Alice and I had our seminar for British Film. I was happy, I really was. It was a nice seminar, probably the best one so far. I guess a lot had to do with the film which was nice and because it looked like the annoying blonde guy, who's name is Chris and the girl, whoi sn't really annoying, but who talks a lot as well, wouldn't show up, I got myself in a good mood. I thought, good, then we all get some time to say something without the two of them already answering a question before anyone else can. The boy, Chris, after some minutes however did show up. But by then I was already in a good mood, and noone who could break my spirit. So I spoke again, a couple of times. I was very pleased with myself for adding something. One time after watching a short clip Chris of course was the first to immediately start speaking when the lights went on again, which bothered me a bit, because I actually wanted to speak and comment what we saw. But here he was again, before anyone else could even open their mouth. The thing is, the rest of us are just too polite. When Keith, our teacher, turns off the DVD and puts the lights back on, we wait, just let him finish his sentences and then when he finish his question, then jump in and answer. Chris however, immediately jumps in before anyone else can. I knew this would happen, but I just don't like it. And turned out I would have said exactly the same things. So here he was again showing off his 'knowledge' leaving me with nothing. He took away my words, my answer. I would have said that if he would not have answered first. Not cool, 'cause that was my time to shine and he stole my golden moment. Well, of course I don't really care by now. At least I got to say something. But yeah, the seminar was quite nice. I had fun and it seemed less long than it normally is, which is always a good thing. Afterwards Alice went into town with Heidi, they met up at the library. She asked me if I wanted to come too, but I first needed to check if Clement was going to the boxing our not, because if he was, then he would have expected me to pick him up, because I told him i would. But he didn't so then I went to the Park Wood busstop as fast as i could. Still I had to wait like 20 minutes, but which didn't feel like 20 minutes at all. But at the end it did really get cold. I wanted to buy a white T-shirt at the H&M where they had some for less than 3 pounds. However when i got there, they didn't have those in small, so i ended up buying two for the price of one, which was also nice. But these were together 8 pounds. Or at least one of them, the other was for 'free'. Before I went to te H&M, I saw Alice and Heidi, just when I walked into the streets after getting of the bus. It was a real coinscidence to see them there. So I said hi and then Alice told me about the market and one stand that supposedly sold stroopwafels, the typically Dutch cookies. So as Heidi and Alice went into Tesco I took a look at the stand and she was right, there really were stroopwafels as well as typically Dutch pannenkoeken en they sold like little clogs and other stuff like that. I don't know why there was a Dutch food stand, of all the countries in the world they come with typically Dutch cookies and stuff. But for me of course it was cool to see. Hmmm, maybe a good idea to next time take a picture of it. So then after walking down the market I went into H&M were I bought those T-shirts and on my way out saw Claudia, who I had already seen that day before when i picked up my essay. She had just picked up hers as well and had to go to the computer service because apparently her laptop would for some reason not switch on. Clement turned out to be there as well. They both were a little sick, so they decided to just go into town and shop to feel better. They already went to the pharmacy and now they tried other ways to make them feel better which shopping might provide. After saying goodbye to them I went to Tesco to do some grocery shopping. I didn't really need to go, but I though, you know, let's for once not try and save as much money as I can and just not really care about the prices but just by thigns I would liek to buy but normally I don't, because it doesn't fit into my weekly budget of money I want to spend, which is just a bit more than then pounds, with maybe 13 as a maximum. So i thought, let's by pasta, fresh tomatoes, cinnamon and raisin bagels (buy 1 package get one free), some crackers, fruit yoghurt, and a sack of reduced apples. Altogether it was something like 7 pounds, so not that much. After getting back home and made my dinner, which was the pasta with tomatoes, I went to the Gulbenkian to meet up with Marion and Heidi who were going to see Control. Tania, Magali and Amandine were there as well, as well as Marion's housemate David and some other people I didn't know. I was a bit late, which was because before I left my computer decided to play Mr. November by The National, I guess I'm really feeling the song again, because when hearing it again i immediately needed to hear it 3 times more. So then i was bit late, but it wasn't such a problem. the film was really good. Anton Corbijn is Dutch so that makes me really proud. A bit frustrated though that not everyone knew that and thoguht he was just British. Nooooo, he is not. So i don't like it when with the trailer it says, the best British film in hyears, or soemthing like that. I guess it is British because it's made with British money, it's about Joy Division, has British actors and crew and stuff, but still, Dutch director who seems to have a very big influence on his work. But yeah, the film was good. Sometimes really funny, because of the band's manager. But overall i liked that there was this sad atmosphere throughout the movie, which has much to do i guess with the prospect of Ian Curtis hanging himself, which you of course already know, because that's just how he died, it's based on real events. I also liked that it wa sshot in black & white, which really worked for this film and I could not have imagined it differently. Saim Riley was brilliant playing Ian. He was spot on, really becoming the guy. And the coolest thing is, the actors played the songs themselves and Riley sang everything himself and he sounded just so much as Curtis. It really is strange when you realise it's Riley singing not Curtis. I liked that they showed some songs in their entirety. I was just moving my head to the beat, real cool. Samantha Morton was amazing as well, she is one of those actresses who are just tremendously good. Lately all her performances have been outstanding. I guess when you're just good, you just are. It's like Blanchett or of course Meryl Streep, who you can always count on, she will always give a good performance, because that is just what she does. Thus a real actress. Afterwards I went home with Clement and Claudia who went to the film as well, but came in later. The other went for a drink, but I just wanted to go to bed, so i went home. Now I'm going to brush my teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast etc. etc. It's weekend, it's December. Tomorrow it's Nelly's birthday : ) and I will be having lunch with lots of people and head into town afterwards to celebrate that it's December and Christmas is coming. It was all Alice's idea, who today went to London with Cecilia. Her first tiem in london so hopefully it won't rain like yesterday.

No comments: