Tuesday 4 December 2007

Engagement

I can hardly believe that the Friday of next week I will be going to London. If I wouldn't have stayed for the entire academic year it would have been my last days in Park Wood, in Canterbury. Fortunately I will be back after Christmas break, so I will just return to my room and my housemates. Thursday of next week my second essay for British Cinema als has to be finished. This time choosing rhe right topic seems much harder. I already changed my mind once, but last night I changed another time. I have decided to go and do the, what is to me the most simple topic, afterall. I just can't see how I should be able to really say something about music in British cinema from the 1980s til the present day without having seen and anaysed every film. I could of course take one film from every period, meaning a film from 1985, 1995, and 2005. But then it would be difficult what to do next, would be important to choose films from the same type of genre, the same characters, story etc.? Because in one film the music may really reflect a character's feelings and emotions, but in one of the films from a later period this isn't the case. But this doesn't mean that music doesn't reflect emotions of a character anymore. You can't just make conclusions on just one film. And then again, it depends on the character, the genre, the type of story if music is used that way. Of course you can alayze these films and just say in general what sorts of use of music you see in those three films. But then again what does that say about the use of music from 1980s 'til the present day. you expect some kind of change, a development, with a question like that. So that's why I've changed, I'm now doing the engagement topic as well, yes, the same one you're doing Alice, but I will be speaking about one of the character's from Shallow Grave. This will be much easier for me, 'cause it allows me to cocnentrate on just one character and one film, instead of having to analyze three in such a short period of time. I feel this topic is also much more clear. And at least you don't have to say something about how engagement with character's has changed from British films from the 80s til today. So, hopefully this is the best choice and i won't have to change again. Yesterday the lecture of Documentary Film was about historical documentary with much focus on the Holocaust. I have to ay that's one of my 'favourite' subjects, or you know, favourite is a strange word in this context, so yep, the most interesting. It's because the course I took about representation in media, with the main focus on film, of genocide of last year was really good. I didn't know it would fascinate me that much and I would really come to like it. It brings up all those questions you normally take for granted. So I will probably do my second essay for Documentary Film about a topic related to this. I believe there were some topics about this on the list we could choose from. I spent almost 3 and a half hours in the library yesterday afternoon, straight after our lecture. But now that i have changed topics again it wasn't very useful. Today i will be in the library again after seminar and also propably at the Gulbenkian to speak with Euan and Clement about our film project. In some minutes I;m off to Tesco to do some shopping, not much because i still have a lot of things, but just things like orange juice etc. Bye bye!

No comments: