Thursday 6 December 2007

Thank You Sinterklaas!

So yesterday it was December 5th on which in The Netherlands we celebrate Sinterklaas. Normally at home we don't celebrate it anymore, but because it's such a typically Dutch thing, it's fun of course to at least kind of celebrate it now that I'm here and make me just a little bit more homesick. :) My mother had told me she had sent me a package and that it would be a surprise. I didn't expect her to send anything as it's almost time for me to get back for two weeks. So I didn't tell my parents to send me another package. So i was quite sursprised when my mother told me she had sent me something. And yesterday it was the big day and my package arrived, perfectly timed, just ready for the Sinterklaas festivities. I was still home when the box arrived and after signing I immediately opened it. What was in it? A sack of pepernoten, a chocolateletter, speculaas, showergel (two sorts), a calendar for the whole month of December to count the days until Christmas and for every day there's a little chocolate inside :), two sacks of little breads, the DVD of A history of Violence, two bottles of red beets, and an umbrella, because I lost mine in the cab. So a real box filled with gifts. After opening the box and putting everything away i went to the library to anaylze Shallow Grave, the film I'm discussing in my essay. Last night the mvoie finished downloading on my pc, so now i have my own copy on my laptop. So now I don't have to borrow the tape everytime I want to watch it. But I watched the whole film with every now and then a break to write things down. Luckily the film only is 92 minutes long, so I was done in maybe 2 or 2 and a half hours. Afterwards i went to the fourth floor to study in the computerroom. Heidi and Marion happened to be there as well. However I didn't stay too long since Clement came and Marion, Clement and I decided to watch A History Of Violence. The two of them already had plans on Tuesday to watch it on Wednesday and asked if I wanted to watch it with them. So it was a real coinscidence that my own DVD arrived yesterday. Else we could have also borrowed it form the library itself, but it was just cool having my own copy. We asked for the key to the big screening room on the second floor, which is so much better than the viewing room at the third floor, where you can only watch by yourself. There are multiple televisions, but every TV only has one pair of headphones. But the tv on the second floor room is much bigger and you don't need headphones, you can just watch as if sitting in your living room. It's ideal. So we watched the film together, which was extremely good. I really liked how suspense was created. At the end it sometimes reminded me a bit of Kill Bill. After the film we went back upstairs to study in the computerroom. Alice now was there as well. She had to stay home during the afternoon because she put her name on the list of people who would like to earn some money by staying home and open their room to visitors of the university. I didn't put my name on the list as I was not sure if I will be available on Wednesday for a following number of weeks. Marion left early because there was something with her ID card and she was a bit fed up about it and decided to go home. The rest of us stayed but I was the first to leave. I left around half past 10 pm. Clement and Alice stayed. I also met Farhad who was also busy studying and Victoria, her boyfriend Stuart and Come, who were also at the computerroom on the 4th floor. Also Penelope was there who said hi and who some days ago i met again in a very long time. Today i won't be going to the lecture. There will be a screneing of The Queen, but Alice has the DVD which she borrowed from Nicholas. So instead of watching it during the lecture we will watch it on our own time at the library, so today at 4 with Clement and Alice. After I will have the filmmeeting and tonight I probably will be at the library again. Things are going pretty well with my essay right now. Im glad I changed topics, this one is much better. Have a nice day everyone, and vote! There are just some hours left.

No comments: