Saturday 29 September 2007

Box

To show that I can also wake up early, and I'm not at all lazy, I agreed with Alice and Marion to go to the library at 8.30 to study. We would first meet up at the reception. I was on time this time, but when i got there at 8.30 there was no Alice, and Alice is always on time. And when Clément was the next one to show up, I knew the others were gone already, because the girls had told me that if i wasn't on time, they would just leave. But the thing is, that I was on time, but I thought maybe for them I wasn't on time enough. So Clément and I decided to go without the girls. The library openend at 8.45, though, so when we got there the doors went just open and no Marion or Alice. Then we knew it couldn;t be that they had gone without us and we were the first two to arrive. In the library café we drank a capucchino while reading the texts for the seminar if British Cinema. Clément and Nicholas had their seminar at 9.30 while Alice and me, were in the group of 2pm. So around 9.30 Clément left and after reading the first paragraph I went upstaris to the fourth floor to look for Alice and Marion. It turned out Marion was going to be a bit late so she told Alice. But the both of them had not told me and Clément. After checking my e-mail I went on reading the text which was like 20 pages long. When Nicholas and Clément came back they told us about the seminar and that it was very interesting and that Alice and I had nothing to worry about. Afterwards the others left and Alice and I went to the shop to buy a sandwich which we ate in the building of where we were going to have our seminar. It was cold outside, so we decided to go inside. As the start of our seminar came closer and closer I started to feel a bit nervous, even though there was no reason to be nervous. But I just couldn't help it. The seminar turned out to be exactly how Nicholas and Clément had told us. It was a bit frustrating though. The seminar was really interesting and the questions raised by our professor were really nice. But the thing was each time I wanted to participate in the discussion and I had ready the things I wnated to say, they already moved on to another topic. It was kind of hard, because every time the first thought that came to mind was, but I know nothing about the UK and which films are shown outside our university. But then when the idea of talking about my experiences in The Netherlands came to build in my head, it was already to late. I did say something though, but I'm not quite sure if it was all that interesting. So when the seminar was over Alice was a bit down, like me. But I decided not to think about it to much and i think next week will be better. When I got home I looked for clothes to wear, because Clément and I were going to the boxing class. On Thursday we couldn't, because we had a lecture. But yesterday we had time so we went. I had to go in my swimming shorts, since I had no time to buy a different one. But it looked alright, not weird it all. Same thing for my All Stars, 'cause they're the only shoes I took with me, just two pairs. Clément however had gotten the time to go downtown and buy some shorts after he was done with his seminar that morning. When we got to the sports centre it took a while for us to find it. Turned out you did have to go to the balcony, which to me at first seemed strange. But up there they had the punching bags. We first searched for a room to change and bought a drink, because we both forgot our bottle of water. When we were ready we went upstairs. The lesson had just begun so we could immediately join for the warm up. And after that one of put on the gloves and the other the ones for the defence. It was really really cool and Ben our teacher was very nice, not at all strict or one of those guys who seem to have come straight out of jail. 'Cause in secondary school we had like three lessons in total where we did some boxing and one time a teacher came to give a sort of demonstration. And we had to lie down on the ground in a straight line while he came by to punch us in the stomach one by one, while we were lying there. That was not cool and therefore I never dared to join a real club, because I dont want to have the feeling that i'm in bootcamp. That goes just a bit too far. But it went good and Clément who had never boxed before had fun as well. I'm glad he liked it, as it was my idea to go and do some boxing. So, yeah, next week we definitely come back. Hopefully we can also come at Thursday. On Thursday it's more of a lesson to learn the basics. That day however we do get a lesson by a teacher, which Ben said, is very strict. And it could be that Clément and i have to come a bit late, due to our lecture we have before. So Ben told us to sneek in very quietly, cause aparently the guy from Thursday doesn't like it when people are late. But yesterday went great. After a while you did start to feel it in your arms as they became more heavy. But you just had to go through it and the strange thing is that at one time you feel exhausted and you almost can't punch anymore, but then all of a sudden you can and do a lot of them straight after each other. Afterwards we went home, I took a shower and talked to Anne about London to where we go today, in a couple of minutes. I also sat in my kitchen talking to my housemates as they all were home. It was really cool, I put my laptop in the kitchen for some music and drank some orange juice and lots of water. Then at like 8.15 I went to Marion's house. Because she didn't call Clémet to ask him to come over I started to doubt if there really was a meeting and thought that maybe she had joined Alice afterall to watch Atonement. But when I came by at her house, Alice, Clément ans also Sandra, were already there. We had pasta and some slices of bread with cheese. it was really nice. Later on we met Marion's neighbour, Benjamin from the US and went to his house next door. Alice, Sandra and I didn't stay too long, i was a bit tired and knew I had to wake up early. So we decided to go home and I sent a message to Clément, who had already left because Fabian was stuck in the hosue with people who were only speaking Spanish and Italian, to tell him we wouldn't come with them to eliot college for a drink. So overall it was another interesting day and now it's time to London, so see you! :)

No comments: