Sunday 30 September 2007

London And The Tate

We had to wake up pretty early to catch the bus to London. First we had to take the bus downtown and from there we would take the National Express coach. We all were on time at the reception at 7.30. Marion, Clement and Heidi were all there. I arrived at the same time as Marion, so we immediately left. At first I was thinking, but what about Alice. But then I remembered that Alice wouldn't come with us, so we really didnt have to wait for anyone else. It took a while before the bus came that would bring us to the centre. Clement told us there would be one at 7.45, but the first one that came arrived at 8.02. But we still were on time when we arrived at the bus station close to Wilkinson. Anne who came by bike was already there and together we went to get us some information. We also met Penelope who went with us as well and who also lives in Park Wood, even though at first she was supposed to live in the centre in her own room. Eventually that didn't go as planned so she asked if there was still a room left in Park Wood and luckily, there was. The trip by bus took two hours, which wasn't long at all. It seemed much shorter both on our way to London as on our way back. We arrived around 10.30 and started to walk in what hopefully would be the right direction to the Tate Modern. While we walked to the Tate we passed Buckingham Palace, the Big Ben and the Parliament. As we crossed the Westminster Bridge we made our way to the Tate and while doing so met up with Tania, Magali and Amandine, who were also in London but left earlier then us. When we arrived at the Tate there weren't that many people yet. Later on when i saw almost the whole left wing collection of the third floor and passed the first room, it was suddenly crowded. The collection with paintings and some statues was great. There were a lot of different objects made by different artists. A lot of them had to do with surrealism and presented beuatiful art. I like it when a painting makes you think and question the artist's intentions. One of the best experiences was Cy Twombly's Four Seasons. At first I just looked at the four paintings, and already i was really impressed, because they really translate the feeling of spring, summer, autumn and winter. When I walked in the room where the Four Seasons are hanging, I saw Clement standing in with some headphones. I thought that he took those as a guide, so that with every painting a voice would tell some things about the painting shown. But before he walked to the next room he told me to come to him and handed me the headphones. So I started listening and it was this amazing music. Immediately from the very firt note I found myself lost in this great thoughts, images passed by in my mind. It really inspired me and made me think how wonderful this would be in a movie. Like a perfect ending. Someone standing in a museum listening to this beautiful music, without anyone knowing what it is that person hears in that moment. I felt so special listening to these sounds while the people that passed by me had no idea what I was experiencing right there in that moment. The music is inspired by the Four Seasons. It was really one of the best things I've ever heard. But the whole Tate museum reminded me of how much I like to see a museum shown in a movie. Like in The Dreamers, the three characters run through the Louvre like the characters from Bande A Part. And also in Match Point, which I had to think of myself, but which Clement later on made a reference to as well. After I saw the whole collection it was time for a break. I had no idea where the others were. But I received a message of Clement telling me how fantastic he thought it had been and Tania called me, but I couldn't answer, because I was still in a room with the paintings, and you aren't allowed to call. But when I came out I saw Anne so i sat with her for a while. I then went outside to meet up with Clement, as Anne would leave London at 22 and Clement, Marion, Penelope, Heidi and I at 6.30. But when i came outside it turned out the others were already gone. They already went to the fourth floor and were done with the Tate. When i'm in a museum I need to take my time. I need to look at every painting for a couple of minutes before i can move on. Clement wanted to go back to the Tate and I agreed, I also wanted to see more. But first we needed to eat, since I hadn't eaten anything yet. So we went to Starbucks, where, besides good coffe, they also have really nice bread and yoghurt with muesli. Really cool. So we went to sit outside in the grass to eat and take some pictures. Then we went back inside to the fourt floor and attended the collection about Cubism and Fordism. It turned out that every painting that i really liked was made by Picasso. So apparently, of all artists, i guess I do like his work the most. I especially like his use of colour. And it's cool that i do recognize it when a painting is made by him. I'm like hmmm, that's a Picasso, and then it turns out I'm right. But after seeing so many of his works at the Picasso museum in Barcelona, it's not so strange that i start to recognize his style and have become familiar with it. Around 5 pm we walked back to the coach station, which took us some time to find. While we were walking we passed the British Film Institute, so we got ourselves some brochures. i definitely want to go back to go to the Tate and then afterwards maybe a movie. There will be a special screening of the movie Once and both the actors as the director will be there! So I would really like to go. We arrived just in time at the coach station, but we were almost too late. If we hadn't asked some people if they knew where it was, I'm not sure if we would have made it back in time. But if we would have been late, Clement promised me to pay for my hotel room. When we got to the coach Penelope, Marion and Heidi were already there. I tried to sleep on the way back, but I was only able to close my eyes and that was it. Instead of going straight to bed when I got home I decided to mee up with Alice and Sandra who were at Keynes college where they were playing some reggae and ska. It was nice, but the music was so loud that you could hardly hear eachother when you wanted to talk. Sandra wanted to stay, because she liked the music, but Alice wanted to go some place else, so eventually the two of us decided to go to Clement's place and attend Isa's, one of his housemates, birthday party. We couldn't go empty handed, so we bought a bottle of Bacardi as a gift. The party was alright, only problem was that the music couldn't be too loud, because a security guy came by to warn us. But there was some nice food. The girls made a tortilla and their was also some pizza and cherry tomatoes. At 12 pm Isa got a chocolate cake which her friends made. Then they went to The Venue, but I was already to tired to go and party, so Alice and I went home. But it was a really cool day, especially in London. It was a long time ago since I was there, so it was nice to be back and finally also to be in a big city again, because Canterbury, afterall, is kind of small.

No comments: