Tuesday 25 September 2007

First Lecture

My first lecture at Kent was yesterday for the course Documentary Film. The course would start at 10 am. Normally we will start at 9 am, but because it was our first lecture it was more of an introduction. Even though we knew it would start at 10 am, we already went there half past 8. Alice needed to go to the bank, but it turned out it was closed. Clement and me would go early just to drink something before class and get time to wake up. We met at the reception first and Clement would have been on time, if he had not lost his keys. So we went to the bank without him. But when we were almost there he called to say that he found his keys, which were lying underneath his matras. They probably fell when he left his keys on his bed. But the bank was closed so Alice and I waited for Clement. To be sure the lecture would take place at 10 and not 9, we went to the lectureroom. There we met Nicholas who also takes Documentary Film course. While the others waited Clement and I went to drink something at the Gulbenkian theatre. Later on I received a message saying the lecture really would start at 10 and that Alice went to the library. After our drinks we went to the library as well and then it was time to go to our first lecture. The lecture was nice, but there were just a couple of things I wasn't happy about. Our teacher or professor didn't have much structure. She just gave us a list of citations of filmmakers who gave their opinion about documentary and what they think documentary really is. She then showed some clips, but why she showed these wasn't really clear. Also some of the clips I had aready seen. I felt it was more about the history of cinema than that it was really about documentary. Because everyone knows that the first couple of films were mostly short documentaries or actualities. Maybe that we will talk more about contemporary documentary in the upcoming weeks, but right now I didn't feel it was really about documentary. I also hoped it would be more about the technique, but it's more analyzing and very focused on theory. After class Clement, Nicholas and I went to the European Office. There we saw Hanna and Farhrad, who als went to the lecture. Noone seemed to be getting real help, either way because Brechje wasn't there or they didn't have the documents you came for. I needed to have the paper which proofs that i have taken part in the English Language course. But they didn't have it yet and I can come back on Friday. With Clement I then had lunch at the Gulbenkian theatre. I must say that my panini was less ncie then the first time I came there to eat. But it was still nice and I was pretty hungry. : ) Because Clement would make dinner and it was Ingmar Bergman week, which means that we were going to watch only Bergman films, he had to go downtown. I also needed a blanket, sicne the one they gave us is very thin and very small. So we went to the centre and bought all the things we needed. After the shopping Clement showed me the park he discovered a couple of days ago. The weather was really good and perfect to spend in the park, so we sat on a bench for a while before we took the bus back home. At 7.30 pm I had dinner together with Fabian, Marion, Alice, Cecilia and Clement who made something in the oven. It was kind of like a quiche and tasted very good. their were potatoes in it and courgette. And I really like courgette! Then we wanted to watch Persona, but there was a small problem. There weren't any Englosh subtitles only French. The movie itself is in Swedish. Alice and i were alright with it, but the others thought it would be better to watch a different film instead. So eventually we ended up watching The Virgin Suicided by Sofia Coppola. I don't know if this means that it's now Siofia Coppola week, but it would be nice since I still have to see Marie-Antoinette. And Alice told me it is very good. Today I have my first seminar group at 2 pm. Luckily I'm in the same group as Nicholas, Alice and Clement. So we wont have to be afraid of all the English people. : )

No comments: