Monday 12 May 2008

London Audition Scotland

So what was this whole Saturday in London about? Well, I went to an audition of this school called Drama Studio London. It all turned out to be really cool. At first I missed the National Express coach. I was supposed to be on the one of 6.20, so I put my alarm clock and everything and got out of bed around 5.15. I left the house around 5.45 thinking that that would be enough to walk into town, but of course it wasn't. What was I thinking?! I guess it was because it was early :) So I had to wait like 70 minutes after I arrived almost ten minutes late. But time went by quickly and at 7.40 I took the bus to London. Of course I had to pay for a new ticket and yes, it was 12 pounds. So unfair. I think that if I would have been able to go online I could have had a cheaper ticket. But anyway, I made it to London. Of course I ended up being late, because we were supposed to sign in around 9.30 for a 10 am start. I arrived at Ealing Broadway subway station just some minutes after 10. But then I had to look for the building. But I mano find managed to find. They had given me a map, so all I had to do was to pay close attention to the names of the streets. At first I was not sure if I was going to find it, but I figured everything out very quickly and I happened to go into the right direction and made it. When I saw the building my first reaction was, it looks like a dental practice. What is this place? So I rang the office bell, but no response so I then rang the normal bell and this woman who looked quite old opened the door and told me they had already started. She then said if I wanted to go to the bathroom it's upstairs. So I walked upstairs and I thought, where have I gotten msyelf into? By seeing this woman I thought maybe this school is for older people, maybe it's like a really private and small school not at all that serious. I got a bit worried. After using the bathroom I walked downstairs and I was led into the room, the door opened, and relieve, young people :) We were 9 in total and the school seems to be a really good one. When I came in the guy who I suppose is the person leading the school and also teaching the students was already busy explaining things, talking about the school. It turned out I wasn't the only non-British person. There was this older guy from France, this guy from Lebanon and a girl/woman from Italy. There were only 2 'real' British people. So I immediately felt more at ease, 'cause I know I would not be the only one who might struggle with the English language a bit, especially when you're expected to do some improvisation. But it was so nice. It was a really good audition, the whole set up. It was kind of like what I used to do with Starring #10, the group with which I did a play in December 2006. At first we did some sort of warming-up, played this game, then we had to lie down and pretend to be an animal. They wanted us to really breathe the animal, become the animal. I choose to be a dog and I think I did a very good job. Seriously, I don't want to brag, but I was really good. :) But I already knew I'm good at playing a dog, 'cause I did the same during my audition for the Drama school in Amsterdam and the other kids who auditioned with me told me I did a very good job and I might want to start some kind of business entertaining people by playing a dog. So yeah, I felt pretty confident and I really went for it. I know no shame. At things like this you can ask me to perform the craziest things and I will do it. After the animal thing we were asked to perform small situations very quickly. We had to pretend we were waiting for the train, waiting for a doctor's appointment, playing a waiter and more of those things. Really cool and again I think it went good. I kept it natural. So I was feeling really good. Overall I had no nerves at all, which I was very happy about. I felt very comfrotable and it felt so nice to be busy with these things again. It made me realize how much I love it and that I kind of missed it. By the way, true that I went to this audition or started looking again because you, papa/dad told me I should go and look for workshops or things like that. Of course I thought about this before, but I guess I needed an extra little push to get me going again. So thank you. After the short scenes we did an improvisation exercise and I love those exercises, because they're so much fun. Everyone got the chance to do it twice. Each time one person had to leave the room and after being called enter, while the other person was given a sentence to which the person entering the room then had to respond. And from there on a situation, a scene, is supposed to arise. I was a bit worried because of the English. In Dutch improvisation can be pretty tough already, so to do it in English could be even harder. But I managed. Sentences came. Of course you need to get into it a bit first, but then it goes easier. Nice detail is that the group applauded with both times that I had to do the improv exercise and they never applauded for anyone else. So I guess it was pretty entertaining. The first time I was apprently drunk, that was the line the girl from Italy threw at me. The second time I had to say the line: What have you done to your hair? But it went good, both times. It's really fun, I like it a lot. Some of the others were pretty good as well. Of course you can't help thinking, oh, oh, that guy's a threat. You know, it's still a competition. But it didn't make me feel less comfortable, fortunately. So as the day progressed I kind of felt like I had a good shot at this so I had to keep giving it my all. The last thing we had to do was our monologue. That one was a fiasco. At least for me, 'cause of course I messed things up, it's not my first time. But I don't think anyone really noticed I changed words and everything or said lines twice when you only have to say them once. And the worst thing was I couldn't remember the name of the author of the play. I was thinking, something like Voydenov, but it was Andreyev. So bad. But overall I think my monologue went okay, very intense :) I really like doing it. I think what I enjoy most is to be me at that moment, to know all the things which are going on in my head at that one moment. I need to keep on performing while thinking about the lines which i hardly could remember, how to use my body where I would stand. So many things go on in your head in those couple of minutes. That's really fun, to know what's going on in that had of mine at that moment. Well, then we had to wait like 15 minutes before we were asked back in and they would tell us if we could come back for another audition round. Well, like I said before I didn't make it. Why did I feel it went so well then? Because it did. The thing is I apparently have this way of speaking which is I guess not completely incorrect, what's the correct way of speaking, is there any at all? But I have this way of speaking more from the top. I don't really feel the words I speak. I don't use my entire mouth. My director from Starring #10 told me this before, after he realized this as well. It's something I need to work on and pay attention to. Here I completely forgot about it. So no, I wasn't able to cover it up. If I had been able to do it, then maybe I would have been in the running still. Well, they told me I could come back next year and try again, which indicates I do have a fair chance of getting into this cool. It's just that they want people who are clean, people who don't have flaws they need to fix before they can work with them and try to improve their skills. They just don't have time to spend that extra time on my vocal abilities, so I have to do that before going to a school like this. It will take up too much time for them. But if I have that fixed I think I could go far. They didn't tell the guy from Lebanon he should come back and try again next year, so I guess that in telling me I should they see a possibility. So that's really cool to know. So that was my Saturday adventure. I didn't know how long it was going to take. I expected a big school with lots of people so the coach I booked for was leavign at 18.30. The audition ended around 1 pm, so yeah, lots of time left. So I walked and walked and walked and walked. Around Oxford station, went to EAT to buy my favourite yoghurt with honey, banana and grape nuts (don't know why they are called grape nuts, don't know what they are exactly, but I LOVE those, they make this whole yoghurt mix so amazing!) - Well I just googled it: Grape Nuts Trade name for breakfast cereal made from wheat and malted barley, baked and shredded, invented by C. W. Post in 1897. So there you have it. But it's GOOD! I went to Regent's Park, sat there for a while in the grass, but it was crowded! So many people. Too many isn't nice. So I only ate my bread and vegetables consisting of cellery and cherry tomatoes and cucumber, with also grapes, orange and French brie. It's what I make almost every day lately. It's nice. My yoghurt I ate later on after going to Sainsbury's at Victoria station to buy some sushi and juice. I sat on the steps of the Colonnade walk just before the coach station. Some of the sushi I ate in the bus and the last pieces back home in my room. The coach made a stop at Keynes college so I didn't have to walk back home from town. I received a message from Alice saying she was going to do a picnic outside her house. So I went there at 21.30, an hour after I came back home. I guess it was Sandra's idea as she apparently needed to have ice cream just after she and Alice went to the aerobics class of that morning. Dennid later on came as well. Itw as really cool. We sat outside on this large football field behind Alice's building. Sandra brought candles. We had some biscuits and Ben & Jerry's ice cream, chocolate chip cookie dough flavour. It was my first time I thinke ating Ben & Jerry's and my first time eating the cookie dough flavour, which I know is very popular. I liekd it, but it's a bit strange. It's not all that amazing. I don't understand why people like it so much. And pieces of chocolate okay, but the pieces of dough you really need to chew on, or at elast you automatically have that response to it and it kind of takes away the nice experience of ice cream on which you just suck and let it melt on your tongue. But overall it was still good and it was a long time since i had any ice cream, since Christmas. And what about yesterday? Well, yesterday I did my laundry as I already told you. I went into town to do some grocery shopping, which already was necessary again. And when I came back I had only half an hour left before I had to meet up with Véronique to speak about the trip to Scotland. Amandine can't make it anymore and Jan isn't quite sure, I believe. Kind of depends on his new girlfriend and everything. Véronique spoke to him the night before at this barbeque at Claudia's place. So we met up at Keynes and went to the terrace of the K-bar. When we walked in everyone looked immediately at us. there was this group of guys sitting in front of the television, all different football shirts on. They were watching the Premier League. But it was funny because outside you don't notice a thing about football and then all of a sudden you walk into this bar and everyone is sitting there in silence, feeling the tension and excitement. We went to sit outside to have a talk and then and after went to the computerroom to book the entire trip which took a lot of time. So I was beginning to feel hungry. We met up around 4.30, but around 7 we were still busy I think. But there was a lot to book, the flight, different hostels and buses to be able to visit Glasgow, Inverness and Edinburgh. And after having my dinner I went to do my laundry at around 9. I really needed to do it. But yeah, I already told you how that went. Today I spent time in the grass and I will go to the Gulbenkian tonight to see Be Kind Rewind. Bye!

No comments: