Thursday 22 November 2007

My 2 Hours In Town

I went into town yesterday from 12 to 2 pm. First did my grocery shopping in Tesco and then went to buy myself some new clothes. I wanted some new socks and underwear just because I wanted some new ones, but also because the more socks and underwear I have the longer it takes for me to run out of clean ones which will lead into me having to do the laundry. So now hopefully I won't have to do my laundry every week, which isn't all that necessary. I do it weekly, because I don't have any clean socks or underwear, but T-shirts and jeans I have more than enough. So now to get it more balanced I bought some new ones. Well, because shops like H&M and Topman aren't all that expensive I also bought a new pair of black jeans, a cardigan and a beanie. I like that I never spend much money when I shop for groceries. This time it was only like 13 pounds, which mainly was because I bought some fresh courgettes, wanted to try some new muesli, even though I didn't finish the muesli yet which I had bought last week and I needed to buy rice. And there was some tortellini just for one pound, so then I decided to buy that as well. When I got back into the bus I felt quite exhausted to my surprise, like I lost a lot of energy. I also felt a bit hungry, even though i had already eaten breakfast before I came into town. So when i got back home I ate an extra bowl of muesli and a banana. I was supposed to go to watch L'Ultimo Bacio at campus, but decided not to. First of course I asked myself if I would regret it or not, but I don't really. It was never one of those films I really felt the need to have seen at least once in my life, so I don't feel bad about missing out on it. And maybe I will see it another time. But I didn't feel like going, mainly because the thought of having to watch the film in a lecture room like I was having the screening of British Cinema, didn't really appeal to me. I much rather sit in a real movie theatre, like I will be tonight. There's this free screening for members of the Gulbenkian cinema. The film they will show is Venus, which I had not seen yet. It's the one with Peter O'Toole which he managed to get an Oscar nomination for last year. Because the weekly filmmeeting is at the same time, Euan, Clement and I decided to meet an hour before the start of the movie so we could have a little chat about our little film and talk about our plans and make our ideas even more clear. So tonight I will be at the cinema. The last two days I have spent mostly at home, which I really felt the need for, but at the same time I also feel it's better to go out sometimes, just leave Park Wood. The thing is that if I stay home I get just a little bit homesick, or not really homesick, but I think about home and miss it a bit. And yes, when i stay at home it will actually be almost the same as when i would have stayed in The Netherlands, which is go to Amsterdam to go to my lecture and then go back home to Haarlem and that's it. And if I don't do soemthing 'special' during the evening it feels the same here. Then I just go to my lecture at campus and then back home to Park Wood. But on the other hand, I just needed some time for myself like everyone sometimes needs. But I really had fun in town, I like to go all the way down there. My rucksack or backpack (I think mine is big enough to call it a backpack) was very heavy. I put my ricemilk and three litres orange juice in it as well as a piece of cheese, the tortellini and the bananas. At Topman I almost ran out of money so i already asked the guy at the counter if it would be able for me to pay one part in cash and the other by card. But it turned out I had enough money afterall. We students get a 10% discount, so then I ended up paying just in cash like was my first plan. So today I have British Cinema, lecture and screening afterwards. I'm afraid both won't be any good, but I'll possibly manage to sit through it like I always do. I just realised I dreamt that the film La Vie En Rose about Edith Piaf was going to play again int he upcoming weeks afterall, but it won't, last Monday really was the last time, so it was just all a dream. And in case you haven't noticed it yet, please do click on some little thing on the right, just for fun. ;) Well now, that's it for today, I really need to listen to a new Bob Dylan album...
Ah, and I forgot to mention that apparently our microwave was broken, so the day before yesterday, this guy came to replace it. Apparently on Monday the people who clean our house every week noticed our microwave was broken so they told the people from Park Wood about it, and now we have a new one! I think we were all a bit surprised, when the man came to replace it I first didn't understand why he came and thought he mentioned something about him having left his keys in our kitchen. But then he said something about the microwave and that it was broken, so i asked Victoria who just came down the stairs if she knew about anything, but she didn't. But the guy told us we have to clean it, which I guess we never did. But now we will, I'm sure. Also today it's Thanksgiving, which I don't think they celebrate here, but the Americans living here at campus do, so last night I walked into the kitchen and stumbled upon two big turkeys on our kitchen table. Patricia once again is having this big dinner with friends of which some are from the US, so they decided to celebrate it together. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't have any problem with seeing two big pieces of turkey lying on a table, at least, I don't really mind. I even watched Sang Des BĂȘtes on Monday during the screening of Documentary Film, in which horses, cows and sheeps are shown being slaughtered, which is not at all a pretty sight. I must say I found it to be a bit more though to watch then I expected to, but still it's part of our reality, so I can look at it and didn't walk away and leave the room, pretending things like that don't exist and i rather not be confronted by them. But yeah, I forgot to mention all of that at first, so now this post has gotten a bit longer, which probably noone will notice, because I don't think anyone immediately reads a message the moment I post it. But have a good day everyone, four weeks and I will come back for a little visit home. Bye!

No comments: