Wednesday 28 November 2007

Too Much To Carry

Just to clear things up immediately, I didn't vote! So, I guess someone just likes the new lay-out. Yep, apparently it's possible, Alice. Well, Marion said she liked it. But I have no idea who voted for cool, but it sure wasn't me. That just wouldn't be fair. Yesterday was a busy day. I did my presentation and it went pretty good. I wasn't nervous at all, but I never like that it always ends up differently than youw anted to. The night before when you're in your room pretending to already stand there doing your presentation in front of your fellow students everything goes smooth, you feel very loose and try to act cute and all, but then the moment you actually stand there it all suddenly feels so cold, empty and a bit boring. All these eyes staring at you, and you yourself are constantly thinking what it people think of you and your presentation. Is it good? Do they understand everything? Do I make sense or just tell a lot of crap. I started kind of speaking by heart, but then towards the end ended up reading a bit more, just to get it over with and not make it too long. There were quite a lot of people, so it was nice a lot of people showed up. I tried to ook a bit at everyone, just to get them all involved. I especially liked that one guy, Matt or Mathew, sometimes nodded his head, giving some kind of reaction to what I was saying, which is nice for me. 'Cause then I knew at least someone was interested and thought I was making sense. This other guy, Glenn, sometimes did the same thing. At the end of my presentation , one guy commented as well as Matt. But I could 'defend' myself and my point of view pretty well, so it didn't hurt my presentation. So overall I think it went okay. When we left the room after class was over and I walked towards the door where Elizabeth stood holding the door open she said something like: 'interesting choise'. So I guess the fact that she thought I had chosen an interesting documentary must have been positive, so hopefully this means she thought my presentation was good. The documentary I spoke about, by the way, was Unser Täglich Brot (Our Daily Bread) a film by Austrian director Nikolaus Geyrhalter. The film is about food production and shows the different stages our food goes through before it reaches us, the costumers. So you get to see the factories and the people who work there. All shown without interference through use of voice-over, interviews or music. In this way as a viewer you really get to make meaning out of the images yourself and create your own opinion. The film shows the production of vegetables and fruit, but also meat. In some scenes therefore you get to see how cows are being killed and then sliced open or how fish are lured in into this big tube that sucks them out of the water while they were freely swimming. Because I didn't have the documentary on a DVD or some kind of other disc, i had to come early to set everything up. So i just brought my laptop and then connected it to this big screen so that everyone could see the clips I was showing. I had downloaded the documentary, 'cause they didn't have it in the library and buying it for me wasn't an option as I don't like to spend money on something which I probably only goign to use for my study. It was sometimes quite strange to see Alice and Clement looking at me while I was dloing my presentation. It's different watching your friends while they are watching you. And I sometimes tried to get some info from them on what they were thinking, a reaction while I was speaking, but I'm not sure what they really thought. Clement, though, soemtimes kind of nodded or at least i could see he thought i was saying things that made sense. After everyone had done their presentation, or at least the four of us who had to do it this week, which also included Alice and Clement of whom both presentations went fine as well, we discussed the docuemntary we saw on Monday during our lecture which was Little Dieter Needs To Fly. For some reason I felt more exhausted than usual, which i guess might have to do with doing the presentation for some odd reason. Just to do something fun and get away from campus I decided to go and do my grocery shopping after class. Because Alice also was going into town we went together. At first i wanted to bring back my laptop first, 'cause else I had to carry it with me all the way down, but because Alice was immediatelty going to take the bus I decided to just go along with her just so that we could go together which is nicer then going by yourself. Next time though, I will bring back my laptop first, because it really got too heavy. I actually just should have brought it home, because I knew that Alice and I wouldn't stay together, 'cause I was goign to look for Sainsburys, the other and bigger supermarket, while she just went into town to look at some shops. So we only sat together in the bus at the beginning and then I went off to go to Sainsburys by myself. So yeah, for just those couple of minutes together, I could have done without them, 'cause I know we will be spending time together a lot more in the near future. But I guess I'm just like that, everytime I get the opportunity to do something together with a friend I can't just say no. But yes, that's why i ended up carrying my laptop in my backpack all the way down to Sainsburys and back. I had never bee to Sainsburys before and was not entirely sure where it was. I knew that it should be easy to find when walking from Canterbury West station, which is the train station. I checked some maps on the internet how to get to Sainsburys and seemd not to be too dificcult to get there and indeed, it wasn't. It's very easy to find and maybe just 10 to 15 minutes by foot. It was already dark, which gives you the feeling it's harder to find your way, but I managed pretty well. Just pay attention, keep in mind how you walked, try to remember some buildings or things like roundabouts and you must be fine to afterwards find your way back. I'm very proud because I found it very easily and also had no problem with finding my way back. Sainsburys is definitelt a better shop when it somes to the amount of different products they have. I especiallhy was interested in the mueseli, of course, because in Sainsburys they have a 1kg package of Jordan's muesli, which they should have in Tesco as well, but they don't. I have never seen it, even though online it says they have it. I do prefer Tesco though, because you can find your way much easier. Sainsburys however has much more products, which is good when you're vegetarian, because they have a lot more substitutes for meat, which is nice. Bad thing was that the rice milk was sold out and I really can't do without rice milk anymore, so that's why i decided to go to Tesco as well. Really, next time I will make sure my backpack is empty so I can put almost everything in there and only have to carry one bag, instead of three, which now was the case. So I had to carry everything, which was quite heavy, but I managed. I walked back to the busstop where I got out to walk to West station and then go to Sainsburys. I waited for a bus to come and then went to Tesco. First though, I went into this small supermarket to check if they would have some rice milk, but they only had soy, which I don't really like. So I went to Tesco and bought my milk, some clementines and tomato soup. I also grabbed a package of vegetarian sushi, which is one pound. However, turned out I didn't have enough money, so at when I wanted to pay for my grocery shoppings, i had to tell the woman behind the counter that I didn't have enough and would like to not buy the sushi. I guess I'm a poor student, but it wasn't a problem for them to return the sushi. Because of the milk my bags got a lot heavier, and I mean a lot. Unfortunately the only bus that went back to university didn't stop at Park Wood but just at Keynes college, so I also had to walk from Keynes to Park Wood. Regularly, which I normally never have to, i needed to stop to put down my bags and then change them from one hand to the other. And my hands really hurted, because you can't get a really good grab, with plastic bags like that. Finally when I came home I put everyhting down in front of the door of my room, went to the bathroom real quick, because int own the public toilets were already closed and I really had to go. And then after I put all the products in my cabinet in the kitchen and the refrigerator. I guess I'm too much of a nice person, because of all my housemates I seem to have the smallest area in the refrigerator that's for me to use. Then again I also have the least amount of products, and I end up surprised that everytime I manage to get everything I have bought into the little are that is all mine. I must say that i sometimes do get a bit frustrated that some of my housemates buy things that they just don't eat. They buy a lot of things, while I just buy things I need every week and really end up finishing all those products. So far, I think I'm the only one who has managed to almost finish his jar of jam, while the ones form everyone else are still very much full, whciht akes a lot of space and makes me think if you're not going to use it, or at least not regularly, then don't buy it. I eat a lot of jam, or at least i decide to eat it, because i have bought it. So because I know I have bought it I put an effort in finishing it and therefore for some days I didn't buy cheese, just so to finish my jam first. Now I do also have some cheese. So I eat a slice with cheese, and one with jam, another with maybe hagelslag, which are these tiny chocolate bits you sprinkle on your bread, really nice. But yeah, they have a lot of things which they never seem to finish. But anyway, it's not so much pf a problem, because until know I have managed to get everyhting in our refrigerator. Today it's my day off, I'm goign to start working on my essay. See you and have a nice day!

No comments: