Saturday 24 November 2007

My First Match

Last night brushing my teeth I noticed a scratch on my left arm, some kind of little bruise on my right wrist, and some red spots on my forehead, which was the reason why I kind of felt like having a little bit of a headache or felt I was having tired eyes. I guess they are all the result of my first ever boxing match. Two minutes it took, which might seem short, but isn't at all. I'm telling you, afterwards you're exhausted. Because this girl, who is the only girl in our class had some trouble with her eye and I think her contact lens, we once again were with an even number of people, so everyone had a partner, instead of having one group with three people, like in my group during the practicing. I have to say that everyone is really nice, which is always cool. And it's fun to fight against some other guys as well, instead of just Clément. It also gives you some insight of how far the other guys are and how they fight. But my first match was against Clément, and I think we were both a bit surprised that we were really going to have this match. I think Clément was a bit more like, no way, this is not happening, than I was. I was actually quite stoked and was really up for it. It's cool that we got this opportunity after all these classes. And it seemed like the perfect time, because for some reason yesterday there weren't as many people as there are normally. So there were only four pairs, so four matches. Clément and I were the last to go, so we had already watched the other guys. What i was worrying about the most was keeping my energy level up. It's hard to keep going. I always love it though when Ben, our teacher, says: dig in, come on! It's cool to get that support, someone trying to give you that extra push you soemtimes need. And sometimes it really helps. There were some times during practice that i felt really tired, but then when someone said, come on, just dig in, I found myself filled with energy again and I could go on, feeling almost kind of numb, not being aware of my tiredness. But yesterday I think I was pretty tired, even before coming toc lass, so I was really hoping I would not end up feeling exhausted too soon, because I really wanted to get a good match. But in the end it went quite okay. The strange thing was that when we had a little break after our first minute, I was all of a sudden not at all tired anymore and could go totally go for it again the second round. We both wore these leather helmets, which i had never wore before. But the thing was so tight that in the beginning I was like, how am i ever going to breath with this thing on my head, but of course I didn't notice anything anymore once I was in our fight. But it really went good, and Ben though so too. He said my body punch was really good, so i was happy. It's cool that he also knows my name. I guess it's because I sent an e-mail twice to ask something. I don't know how else he could know my name. But that's nice. What i really like as well, I know it's really gross, but I guess i don't mind getting dirty. But what i really like is when your gloves become all sweaty on the inside. Just all that sweat, being all filthy, but not caring about that at all. And yesterday with the match it was even worse, because we got the leather helmets on from the guys who were fighting before us. And the one I was handed was all wet. You think like yuck, but of course you don't care, just put it on. Great! Share the sweat. But no problem, because when i came home I took a shower so then I was so fresh and so clean clean, again. I made some dinner. And because the class was half an hour shorter than normally, I had more time to cook. We were asked if we would like to go to the boxing Christmas social, but because it is the 17th of December we aren't able to go. I'll be in London and Clément is back in France getting ready to spend some time in hospital. But it was funny this thought, because when you think about boxing you imagine some tough guys and then look what we're having, a nice and cosy Christmas dinner. But yeah too bad we're not here, because it would be cool to get to know the others better. Because one thing boxing class really is not is a way to socialize and get to really know some new people, because you don't really have time to talk when you're throwing punches at your partner. After dinner I went to pick up Clément at his house around 8.30. We were goign to the cinema (yes, again) to see the German film Yella. I knew Heidi and Alice were going to be there as well, but to my surprise Sandra came as well, and I had not seen her for a very long time, so it was nice to see her again as well. The film was very good and very different. Definitely not a film for everyone, because I can see a lot of people not liking this film, saying they don't understand it or it makes no sense to them, but me, i was completely fascinated. First off, Nina Hoss, the actress playing Yella, was outstanding. Such a great performance. Very small in her gestures and expressions, but so strong. You could really feel the psychological aspect, the constant buzzing in her mind, her struggle in the inside. I was very impressed. I knew the film was going to be 'strange', because that's the kind of films the director Christian Petzold makes. So when something happened at the beginning I already assumed to know what had really happened. I really liked that the film was full of these kind of signs and symbols, 'voices' from the past that followed Yella. So with having seen Intacto, Venus and now Yella, this week has been a very good week in cinema. And tonight I'm probably going to watch Elizabeth: The Golden Age as well, with a stunning Cate Blanchett. In the trailer alone she shows already this powerful and demanding presence. She will blow me away comepletely. I had already seen the first one, which was simply called Elizabeth, and in which Blanchett was very good, but in this one she seems to be even better. Reviews haven't been that good though, saying that the film looks beautiful, Blanchett is very strong, but the film tiself is too much of a soap opera and they don't really seem to care about being historically accurate. But i will find out myself tonight ocne I've seen it myself. My seminar by theway was quite alright. I had a feeling there was this more relaxed atmoshepere, and it was one of the better seminars so far of British Cinema, but still it wasn't all that good. And I always end up feeling like all energy has been sucked out of me and I just want to get on the bus and escape into town to forget about everyhting, clear my mind, and celebrate the weekend. It's for this that I'm sometimes like, too bad the boxing is on Friday, because after the seminar it would just be so nice to run off into town and do absolutely nothing. But then again i really enjoy the boxing, so I don't really mind. And this week, with me having my first match was one of the coolest classes so far. I'm already excited for next week. I'm going to brush my teeth right now and eat some breakfast. Have a fun weekend everyone!

No comments: