Monday 19 November 2007

I Shouldn't Be Alive

I don't think I've ever been so cold as last night, really i thought I was gonna die. What happened? Well, I went into town together with Clément to go to this special meeting organised by the Kent Film Society of which we both are members. The meeting would start at 8.15. They were going to show some short films that were made by some students the years before and also one made this year for the 'Two days Later' competition. I met up with Clément at 7.30 so we could go into town by bus together. Some minutes before we met up I was emailing some friends and at the end of my mail I realised that it became quite windy outside and I wasn't exactly sure, but I thought it was raining as well. So when I went outside at 7.30 to pick up Clément at his house I found myself standing in the middle of the rain and too make it worse, it was freezing. So we walked together to the bus station at Keynes College. We took a shortcut of which I'm still not really sure if it was really that much shorter, but maybe it looked longer because of the weather. I had taken my umbrella out of my bag, while Clément was peeling his clementine. He told me how he had been in the library almost all afternoon and that when the library was about to close they rung a bell to let everyone know they were closing. Because of this Clément panicked a bit and tried to save his files very quickly. But it turned out something went wrong and he lost 2 hours of work, poor guy. So his Sunday had not been that great so far and in the morning he spilled his muesli and later on also some coffee. When we arrived at the bus station we had to wait for the bus to come. There was one goign to Whitstable, but not to town, so we had to wait longer. My feet were becoming very cold, because I stepped into a pool of water, and when you wear All Stars that means you're feet and socks are now wet. The wind was still very cold and both me and Clément felt like freezing. We kept looking, hoping the bus would arrive, but it didn't. Eventually we waited for like half an hour, but still no bus. For some reason the bus was late. We then decided to go back, because it was too cold to keep waiting. But because we both wanted to really go to the meeting and felt that if we would go home right now we would have been standing in the cold for nothing. So we walked up to The Venue and I called a taxi, which brought us straight to the Orange Street Music Club were the meeting was taking place. As expected, when we had just stepped into our taxi and were driving away from the university road, the bus to town passed by our car. But at this moment I just didn't care anymore. We were cold and this seemed the best solution. The taxi cost us 8 pounds, which is quite expensive, but when we plit it into two, it's not that bad. I was willing to sacrifice my money for it, so no regrets. In the taxi you were even able to feel the wind a bit, but still it was better than standing outside. It was really really cold. When i took a shower later on that night it was like somethign was pinching my toes, like these tiny little needles waking them up. The social was very cool. Euan came as well, so it was really cool to see him. The Orange Street Music Club looks very nice, it's like this big living room. And there was this little screen hanging from the ceiling on which they projected the films. I have to say that only one film, the one that won a prize, looked quite good, the others I found a bit too amateurish looking. Nothing wrong with that, but I hope our film will look better visually. Of course lighting is very important, but also the staging of the actors, where do you place them and how close to the camera. Because in the last film they showed, the one that I liked, there were some really good shots of this girl sitting in the train. And her face was really filmed up close, which made it look very good. After having watched the films we went home again. Euan had told us about a concert he was going to on Tuesday in London. It would be really cool to go as well, so I have to check if it's possible and how expensive it will be of course. Walking back to the bus station my feet felt even more cold. My socks were very wet and stuck to my feet and the wind seemed to come in from every side of my body. My winterjacket freally wasn't enough. At the first bus station I asked two guys at what time the bus would arrive and they told us that it would be here in 15 minutes. Because walking back maybe takes us 20 minutes Clément and I decided to walk. At maybe the third or fourth busstation we decided to wait afterall, because it was really cold and we had been walking for like ten minutes so the bus could arrive anytime now. After maybe waiting another 5 minutes the bus was finally there and we got in. For some reason the bus driver really checked our buscards, which normally they don't really do, but this one did. And then when we arrived at the station at Keynes college we walked back home to Park Wood, but I really started to notice that I began having trouble with speaking. I was so cold that I couldn't move my lips properly anymore. So when I was home I almost immediately took a warm shower. It was so good to be home again. My nose was very red and cold. Next time I will take even more clothes with me and maybe wear two pair of socks instead of just one pair. And then out of the shower i went into bed. The rest of my day was just like Saturday. I just stayed home in the morning and during the afternoon. But it was fun to go into town during the evening, just the cold weather made everything a bit less fun.

No comments: