Sunday 25 November 2007

Third Time In A Row

The third time I went to the Gulbenkian Cinema this week, after having gone to watch Venus on Thursday and Yella on Friday. Now it was time to see Elizabeth: The Golden Age. I was pretty sursprised that, even though reviews have been very harsh, I did really enjoy it. Obviously I can see the many things that have led critics to bring this film down and smash it completely, making Cate Blanchett's perfromance one of the few positive things about this film. But the film is not that bad when you think about the story and its structure. It might be a bit boring for some people, but I found msyelf to be enetrtained towards the end. I have to say that there wasn't a real feeling of climax, with some peaks now and then giving real exitement, but that overall the film was like one continuous straight line never rising above it, giving that extra thrill that makes you truly engage with its characters and plot. But besides all these bad things it still can be a very enjoyable film, it's not that bad. I've seen a lot worse and if you like good acting performances than this one will keep you very interested, cause it's filled with them. But yep, this was already the third time in a row. I don't think I have ever been to the cinema that much, especially not three days in a row. This Friday Control will be playing, finally, and on the 7th, so still some days away, I will finally be able to see Once, the film I've been waiting to see the most. Before Once it was The Fountain, which totally swepped me off my feet and rocked my world, making it one of the best experiences I've ever had watching a film. That movie is so great and probably the best way to watch it is on the big screen, which I was fortunate enough to do so. They are still playing the trailer from Once every time, so I'm looking away fromt he screen every time it shows up. Because again with Elizabeth I could exactly tell which part were featured in the trailer, because i've already seen that one maybe over 10 times. But enough about movies, the rest of my day, what did I do? Well, I finished working on my presentation. Besides just preparing it and having to speak during the seminar for 5 minutes we also have to hand in a written version, which is like a summary of the presentation i will do on Tuesday. So I have finished that and now I only have to narrow it down to some points I want to make and speak about during the real presentation. Also I watched some TV shows. This Dutch comedian Najib Amhali has this new show which I decided to watch and very much enjoyed. Like every day I did cleaned a lot of dishes and of course I cooked. And at 7.30 I left to meet up with everyone at the Park Wood shop which is at next to the reception. Marion came along this time as well as was her housemate Dennis, which was very cool. We had a drink at Darwin college. I decided to have a cup of tea, instead of drinking a glass of water for free. Today I will work on my presentation again, reading my written text and changing some things. No plans for tonight, so I'm going to make this day a relaxing one. Oh, and you only have three more days to vote, so please do. I'm just curious about the final outcome.

No comments: