Friday 18 April 2008

First Musical In London

I think I slept less than four hours yesterday. After watching What's Eating Gilbert Grape? on Wednesday which lasted until something before 12 I for some reason had a hard time to finally get into bed and because I had to wake up early for London I didn't catch much sleep. At 7.30 Amandine came to pick me up together with Aline her friend from France. We walked into town and took the National Express. I slept a bit or at least closed my eyes. I think I slept, but I'm not really sure. Before going to see The Lord Od The Rings, we went to Camden Town. We walked around a bit looking at the different clothes they sell at the market. We didn't stay that long as we didn't came across anything really interesting to buy. We then took the underground to Covent Garden and had lunch at Pret A Manger where I bought a wrap and some yoghurt with muesli and honey. The girls had prepared rice in the morning with beans, so apart from sharing a piece of carrot and chocolate cake later on, they ate their own prepared dish. Then we went on to the Drury Lane theatre where we saw the musical. I was very surprised by the large sets. It was very entertaining and a real show. I enjoyed it a lot and some of the actors playing orcs even walked into the audience at one point frightening little children. We sat on the balcony, but had a very good view of the stage. One thing I really liked was how the stage moved up and down and was split up in different parts. To give life to horses the actors walked on stilts and to make The Prancing Pony, actors held up pieces of wood to make up the walls, pieces which later on when Frodo and his friends entered were turned into tables. So yeah, it was a really fun experience and I definitely would like to see another musical or play. It's really nice. After the musical we still had time left and because Aline wanted to see the Tower Bridge we went to see it. Amandine took a lot of pictures and I took some too which you can see below this message. After walking over the bridge and back we again took the underground, now to Victoria station where we went for a drink. At first we wanted to go to the Pret A Manger again, as we happened to pass one. But it was about already closed so we walked on to find a new spot, which was Mc Donalds. The girls wanted a hot chocolate, but I had gotten a bit hungry so I ordered this veggie Deli sandwich and some orange juice. We sat downstairs which at first seemed like a really good option, but after I came down as well after waiting for my sandwich a big group of teenagers had arrived. They were on a school trip, so the place was all of a sudden crowded. After finishing the drinks and my sandwich we went to take the bus back, which made a stop at Keynes busstation, so we didn't have to walk all the way to Park Wood from town. After coming home I got myself ready to go to bed and here I am again, still a bit tired but very much awake. I've just finished eating some minutes ago after I went to the cinema to see Le Scaphandre Et Le Papillon (The Diving Bell And The Butterfly) with Aline and Amandine. The film is really good and really manages to give way to Jean-Dominique Bauby's mind, sometimes showing it in a way as if you are really looking through his eyes. There's a scene in which they have to sew up his eye and they film it as if the camera is in Bauby's head with an eyelid placed in front of the camera lens. It really is a beautiful film, really sad at times but also funny.




No comments: