Wednesday 16 January 2008

Appreciation

I'm very happy with my choice for the course Female Performance In World Cinema. Yesterday I had my first seminar and it was a very good one. The main focus is really on analyzing performance, thus acting, which is one of my main interests. And I have always liked to closely analyze a movie or just a shot clip and then try to interpretate everything you see and give it meaning. And because it can be very subjective it makes it all the more fun, because some people might see things you would have never seen or don't necessarily agree with. First Tamar, my coordinator and now also teacher, talked about the goals of the course and gave us some quotes to write down and some ideas by a couple of theorists about acting. Then we watched some clips from both Bringing Up Baby and Psycho, the last one we saw on Monday during our screening. We then discussed the things we saw and tried to give them meaning. Afterwards we worked in groups and analyzed a clip from Psycho. I was together with two girls, which went very good, and one of them I already new from the British Cinema seminar (it's the girl with whom we invented our own version of Alice In Wonderland with, Alice). Next week we're going to discuss the things each group saw and the meaning these things can have. After my seminar I went to the library and stayed there until 5 pm. I read a text for next week and started reading this useful book. I also read a bit in Sight & Sound, the filmmagazine, which they have downstairs at the library together with other magazines and journals. I also send an e-mail to the person who handles everything of the Long Essay course. This Friday we have to submit the subject we would like to write about, so I e-mailed him yesterday. He then asked me why my university want me to write my long essay in relation to the course of Female Performance and I wrote him back and explained. He then told me he was happy that I replied so quickly and so fully, explaining very well why they wanted me to do that. But he told me everything is fine as long as I don't repeat myself, because I'm already writing two essays for that course as well. But I'm a bit mad at my university. They don't reply quickly and I still don't know if they agree with me taking this course of Female Performance to use for my long essay. It's not nice when you think about how good I make them look with replying so quickly to the guy who's in charge of the Long Essay course here in Kent. 'cause in some way you can say that i kind opf represent my university now I'm studying here, so they better show some appreciation and send me back the files I sent them already some weeks ago saying they agree with me taking these courses. At 5 I went home to eat. I didn't cook, but just ate some bread and a banana. I didn't feel like really eating a complete dinner. At 7 I went to watch Little Miss Sunshine and to my surprise Clement was there as well. He came with his housemates and some other friends, but because all of them weren't members of the film society, they weren't allowed to watch the film. Clement decided to stay however, so together we watched the film, which both of us had already seen. There was only one other guy, but besides the three of us there was noone else. Then we walked back home. Clement had to go to the shop to buy something and I went back to my room to brush my teeth, shower and then sleep. Now I'm awake again. It's my first official day off. I will go and study in the library in some minutes, but I'm still a bit hungry so i'm going to eat a bit more museli and a piece of bread.

No comments: