Sunday 20 January 2008

Just Like Last Friday

Just like on Friday I again saw two films, one at the library and one at The Gulebenkian. This time I saw Oldboy, a Korean filmw hich apparentely won the Grand Jury Prize in 2004 at the Cannes Film Festival. The reason why i wanted to see this film was its poster which looked interesting and that was it. The film was a big surprise. It's both very cool and stylish, poetic, with some action scenes and this great story with this big surprise ending that i did not see coming at all. You really have to see it if you haven't seen it yet. It's funny, but also tragically sad and a bit dark and cruel. It's relaly a bit of everything, but done so well. So yes, I was in the library again, but only to print a text and read it and then watch this film just for fun and out of curiosity. I actually was going for a drink with Alice and some others, but the 'others' didn't have time or were too tired, so then with just a bit more then ten minutes long, we decided to go to the Gulbenkian and watch The Kite Runner, based on the very popular novel by Khaled Hosseini. The film is good, but that's mostly because of the terrific story, which I had not read before. There are a lot of twists and the film is very narrative driven, putting the story at its center. So when you think about it, the film itself is kind of plain in filmic terms. So if you have read the novel, the film may not add that much, since it's really the story that stands out and makes the film so engaging. The actors are good though, very touching, especially the little Hassan, the older Amir and Amir's father. It's a nice film and I warn you to bring tissues, especially for those who have not yet read the book and know of themsleves that they easily fall prey to film's like these which putt you up with loads of emotional torture. Afterwards I went home and jumped in my bed falling asleep. Now I've woken up and today is my day of rest. This afternoon I will be at Veronique's place to have a drink, but that's it. I'm just going to listen to music, read novels and maybe just a bit of working on my long essay. I don't think I can ever do completely without working. I just have some thoguhts and ideas which I need to write down and get structured.

No comments: