Saturday 12 January 2008

Glad I Went To The Movies

Today the library will not be opened until 12, so I'm gonna have to start wokring here at home in my room. I don't think I ever received such a reaction when I said to Alice and Marion on the way back home yesterday, you know the library won't open until 12 tomorrow? And then they were like, yeaaah we know, Heidi told us. Such dissapointment in their voices. Great. Never had such a response when I told anybody the library would not open today at 9, like it normally is. I guess we kind of live for the library. But yes, it's such a wonderful place and such a great study environment. When I'm there I'm so focused. I can work for hours and hours, non-stop, without being tempted to go online and check out some websites before continuing again. Like the day before, I was at the library as early as I could, so i got there around 10 am. The fourth floor again was completely empty, with only Heidi and Marion already being there, sitting in a corner. I then joined them and started working. Some time later Alice also showed up and joined us for another working session. Because Marion left to have lunch at home and Alice had eaten just 2 hours before coming to the library, we did not have lunch together at the Gulbenkian. Instead Heidi went to buy something at the campus shop and later on I went to do the same. I bought a sandwich and some mixed fruit, both already packed. I don't know, but it seems here they always put mayonaise on their sandwich. I'm not such a fan of mayonaise, so noticing it was also on the sandwich I bought I was not too happy. But still it tasted really good. But I could easily do without the mayonaise. The day before Heidi mentioned she would like to go to the cinema to see The Assassination Of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford. I told her I would like to go as well, but of course it would depend on how far I was with writing my essay. But because I knew from the days before once I get home from the library I almost don't do any work, I thought just go, because their's a small chance you would really work tonight. So I went around 8.30. The film would start at 8.50. I had no idea though the film would be this long. It's almost three hours. Marion and Amandine were there as well. About the movie, I'm still kind of blown away by it. It was amazingly good. One of the best of 2007, mabe even the best I've seen so far. Of course it's hard to compare movies, so I rather speak about the whole experience and this one definitely was a fullfilling one. It had that The Fountain impact on me, even though both films and both experiences are compeletly different. But that's how good it was. Besides the cinematography, which is amazing, I also really enjoyed the music. The whole film looks beautiful and the pace is so nice and slow. So slow even that a lot of people might not be able to handle it, which is a bad thing, because even though there's this slow pace, the film is so interesting and never loses your attention. If you can't handle the pace, it would be a really bad thing, because some films are slow and therefore become somewhat boring, but this one isn't at all. And I'm sure a lot of people who would not be able to handle the pace, still would enjoy the film very much. But I loved this pace, because it made me feel like I was watching a novel. It's based on a novel, so that's why I thought it was so fitting. The film gave you so much time to look at the images, like it wanted to describe every detail to you just as in a book. And Casey Affleck, wow, he is amazing in this. One of the best perfomances I have ever seen. So strong, so layered. I'm glad i have been able to watch it on the big screen, because that's always so much better than any small screen TV out there. Because I went to the movies, I was not able to attend a party hosted by Veronique, who has returned and has three new housemates. So therefore she decided to celebrate. But i could not be there. I'm not sure if it's today Clement returns, but I hope so. I've been missing him and even though it's nice with the girl, it's just not the same without him. After the movie I walked home alone after watching the credits roll by. i loved it outside, it was comepletely dark, their were stars and there was me, walking, with noone else around. I only passed two security gueard and that was it. I was all by myself. So great, 'cause i was wearing my new headphones, listening to We Are Scientists. A perfect way to end a great evening. Right now I'm going to work work work. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: