Friday 15 February 2008

A Sign?

When I walked in they were just watching a clip from Trainspotting. The course is about sound in film and at 12 they were going to watch Mean Streets by Martin Scorsese. However, when the teacher said they were going to take a five minute break before showing the feature film he came to me and asked me if I was here to watch Mean Streets. I said yes. And he said, ah, I'm sorry because we made a change and we will be playing Chungking Express instead. I was actually more than pleased with this as I had never seen it before. So far i only saw three Wong Kar Wai films. But now I saw four and after my reading week I will have seen five, because we're finally going to see In The Mood For Love, which is probably still Wong Kar Wai's most well known work. But this sudden change is why I'm all confused at the moment. I really start to wonder if this is a sign, if there's something someone wants to tell me, to realize? Because Chungking Express features Tony Leung, who is this very well known actor in China. He however only appears in the film after the beginning, somewhere close to the middle. So I was already like, hmmm, Tony Leung is not gonna be in it, right, or is he? He did 2046, so I thought it might be possible to see him appear. And yes, he did. So then I was like, there he is again. Last Friday I saw him in Lust, Caution, than on Monday he also happened to be in Hero. And then yesterday, because we didn't see Mean Streets, I have no idea why, I saw him again, but this time in Chungking Express. So, my question is why? Three times in just a couple of days. I was supposed to see him twice, but now I saw him 3 times. A sign? For what? I have to say that I sometimes feel I look a bit Asian. Seeing films by Kim Ki Duk, I sometimes see some of me reflected in the looks of some actors. So I always kind of feel like embracing that part of me. Also I once was in Paris with my parents and brother in a restaurant and then when we asked for an English menucard instead of a France one, the waitress asked us, maybe you actually prefer a Chinese one? No? No! We're not Chinese. Do we look Chinese? I don't think so, not really. A bit maybe, a little. Not so much the eyes, but there is something there. Well. Afterwards I went to the library and than run into the lovely Alice who had been working hard and was in need for a break. Then I went to the Gulbenkian to meet up with our two actors and Clement and Euan. However, I thought Euan knew we were already really goign to meet that day, so i didn't sent another email about it. But he didn't, so he wasn't there and missed our meeting which was pretty important and very useful. We got to see Tom and Rose together and I think it's a match. Tom seems very enthusiastic about the project so I guess we will go for him afterall. Then I went to the boxing class. Normally I used to go on Friday and only went on Thursday once. Because we used to have screening that day I couldn't go. But this week I was able to go and I wanted to so i went. On Thursday it's much harder than on Friday. We have to run and than at the end do all these exercises. It's a lot of hard work. But it's fun and I like the teacher. He mays eem tough and everything but he's actually very nice and really supportive. He's always like, great job, now sprint back, come on, yeah. So that's really cool. During the evening I had dinner and then read an article for my essay. Today i'm going to work on it all day. I have to hand it in next Friday, so I'm actually very early. But that's not a bad thing at all and I still have to work on my final long essay, so the sooner I'm done with this little one, the sooner I can get back to work on the long one. It's almost weekend. Everyone enjoy your day.

No comments: