Saturday 1 March 2008

Doing Your Laundry Together Is Way More Fun Than Doing It By Yourself

Thanks to Marion I had a lovely Friday afternoon + evening. At first I went to the library to work on my essay. I was at level 4. The evening before Marion asked if I needed to do some laundry. I said yes, because I'm in my second week, which means laundry time! So she asked if I wanted to do our laundry together, because it's much more fun than doing it all by yourself. Last time I went we met each other at the laundrette and then stayed talking while waiting for our clothes to be washed. So around 4.45 Marion who was at level 3 with Heidi came to level 4 to tell me she was going to wait downstairs with Heidi. So I packed my things and went downstairs as well. On the stairs I met Nicholas whom i had not seen for quite a while. He told me everything was goin alright and asked if there were any good films I was planning to see at the Gulbenkian. I said I wanted to see Silent Light (Stellet Licht) by Carlos Reygadas. I asked if he had seen JapĆ³n and he did, which was really cool since I haven't met anyone yet who had seen that film, besides Andrew, a friend of Farhad, but he already went back to the US. But I walked back to Parkwood with Heidi and Marion. I got all my stuff at home and then went to Marion's place. Just recently I realized I didn't have a linnen basket to put in all my dirty clothes. So far i'd always used plastic bags to put everything in and then I would take all these bags to the laundrette. But Wednesday i bought a basket for 4 pounds at Wilkinson. Almost all my dirty clothes fit into the basket so i just took that one with me and some clothes in my bag. It was quite heavy, but not as heavy when I walked back later on with all the clothes being wet. but Marion and I went to the laundrette, put all our clothes in the machine and then we went back to her place. She told me she was going to cook for the both us, which was really kind. And later on when having taken our clothes from the laundrette we could have a cup of hot chocolate. Dennis was in the kitchen as well and he's always fun to talk with. This time he was even more crazy than usual. :) He was going to cook, which surprised me because according to Sandra he never cooks but always goes out eating at places like MC Donalds. But he doesn't look fat at all, so of course she is wondering where all the food goes. But he was preparing pasta for which you don't have to be the greatest cook, but still, he was at least using some pans and not just preparing some microwave meal. But after a while something started to smell, which was his little pan with boiling water. He threw it away later on, which was definitely a good idea since the inside of the pan didn't look very good anymore. But ity was only 2 pounds, so no big deal. He then used another pan and he managed to eat all the pasta, whichw as good, because Marion told me he often throws food away! He forgets to put it in the refrigerator soemtimes or just doesn't feel like eating it anymore and then he throws it down the garbage bin! Really bad. He could give it to me, I woudl eat it. Marion made some rice, risotto rice, but no risotto. She just uses the rice. :) And some springrolls in the oven. When we finished our meal we walked back to the laundrette. I don't know what happened but the whole afternoon it had been storming. It was very windy and last night it also rained. Stormy weather indeed. Once we got out clothes we went back to her kitchen to drink some hot chocolate and then I helped her dry her dishes. At first I didn't plan to go back to the library as I was feeling tired, but all of a sudden I was feeling very awake again and because Marion said she wnated to do a working session i agreed to go to the library as well. So at the 4th floor we met in the computerroom and went to work. Me on my essay and she on her presentation. I'm really glad I went to the library last night, because I have been very productive and the energy and atmosphere were really good. Gone were all the annoying people who only keep talking and gone was the crowdedness. Only the die hards were left. It's not very often that it's crowded on Fridays. It's the best day to go and work, just like Saturday and Sunday. But Friday especially is nice, because a lot of people go back to their parents' place. And it's a Friday and who works until late at night on a Friday when the next day it's the start of the weekend which should mean you have all day to study if you needed to. But I can study no matter what day it is. And especially this semester, because I only have one seminar on Tuesday it's like it's my weekend all the other days. Marion has some days off as well and told me people asked hor how she could work during the weekend when everyone goes out to party on thsoe days or do nothing all day, just relax. But she told me that's already what i do on Wednesday. There's no difference between the weekend anymore and the days you have no classes. And it's the same for me. And every week it now happens that when it's Friday I already think it's Saturday, because it feels like a Saturday, because I can do whatever I want. Make my own plans without having any obligations like going to a lecture or seminar. So from Tuesday basically my weekend starts. But we stayed until around 22.30. Marion had to wake up early today to go into town for her groceries with Heidi. i;m really happy for Alice by the way, because she has bee having trouble with her two British housemates ever since she came to Parkwood and now one of them finally has to leave ang go live somewhere else. He switches places with another person and that person will become Alice's new hosuemate. Hopefully he or she is much nicer, more talakative and interested in other cultures and doesn't go party every single night and clean his/her own dishes! Also, I don't know if you have already left Clement but good luck on your test to go to that film school you want to go to. Hopefully you manage to get in this time! Well, everyone have a nice weekend. Ciao!

No comments: