Wednesday 10 October 2007

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time

I just came back from running with Clement. We left around 9 am and just started running through some forrest which led into an open field. I can't help but think of shooting a movie in those kind of places. They're just perfect locations for things like that. I guess we film students, who are just a little obsessed with movie making, see things to put in movies everywhere around us anywhere we go. But this open field was just amazing, because it had these different kind of planes which creates a lot of depth and splits up the view in perfect parts that could fit right into a camera frame. The seminar of yesterday wasreally interesting just as the lecture of the day before. Finally I really enjoyed it. Only thing is that Elizabeth keeps asking these questions that are way too general. Like for instance: does anyone want to comment on this documentary or the clip that we just saw, what do you think of it? And then I'm like, well... I like it, it's interesting, I could say a million things. But that's sometimes what keeps us from saying anything, because the question is way too broad and also like too simple. We wnat to be challenged, not be able to just say whatever pops into our head. So she has to start asking questions more precisely. Another thing I can't stand is when they, 'cause the same thing happens during the seminar of British Cinema, ask things of which the answers can literally be found in the texts they gave us to read. I just feel stupid then to answer a question like that and feel stupid that our 'teacher' has the nerve to ask us such a simple question. It's ridiculous. But maybe the worst thing is when an question like that gets asked and then everyone stays silent. And I'm just sitting there thinking, well it syas in the text that... But I don't know I don't like to pretend that the answer is my own, when I know it comes straight out of the text and I know our teacher knows it is mentioned in the texts, so I don't understand why they're asking those questions. It's just stupid. But besides things like that, the seminar was great. I even said two things. :) And I was proud that Clement said somethign as well, and it was very good what you said Clement. So don't be afraid in saying something or that people might not understand what you try to say. Because when you explain things to me I understand everything, so just go and say those things during the seminar and you'll be fine. Just go for it. I try to do the same, but overall i just don't say things that are very interesting or of any real importance. I find it hard to truly analyze a movie sometimes. Some people can come up with very intelligent things very easily, or notice things noone else saw. It's something I need to work on and I'm still learning and try to get better. After the seminar i went to drink a cappuccino at the Gulbenkian. Alice went home, because she was feeling very sad, for no clear reason. I guess she had just one of those days that you're filled with these feelings of sadness and find yourself in a dream like state. Contemplating, thinking, wondering about the bigger picture, the bigger meaning behind all this and what your part is in this big world that scares the hell out of you. I know how it feels. The remedy for me is always Damien Rice. 'O', his first album is perfect for moments like that. Your feelings of sadness make his music even better and in return the music complements these feelings. On moments like that, together with Damien Rice's music, I just want to linger in those feelings, drawn myself fully in them. Get fully drenched and afterwards go to bed and sleep. Just try and get the beauty out of the bad. Turn that moment of sadness in something beautiful. Nicholas went off to the library to study for an hour or more and Clement went with me to drink a cappu cappu. After that i went home while he went to the library. I think i will stay in the library today as well, because when I go home first thing I do is put on my computer and then for some hours do nothign, while I have to read and study, because I have to hand in two essays the beginning of November. I really really like this cd of Shea Seger. I searched for it for a long while and then soem time ago someone gave me a link to download it. So after all this time I got a chance to listen to it, and I so like it. Clutch is already from years ago. I remember the video and even though at that time the music she made wasn't quite the music that i was into at that time, I liked it. And years after I finally listen to her album. Don't know what happened to her though, I guess we'll never hear of her again. But I'll cherish this one album we have of her. Someone else I love right now is Beirut. it's a band, but mostly it's the project of this one guy. And the music, is simply amazing. Such a great mix of sounds. It's perfect, just what i like. As I was just standing in the kitchen filling my teapot with tea, I saw these images in my had which seem to be part of what I hav edreamed about last night. I don't know exactly which thought led into me seeing these images again, but they were about writing a story for a novel. Someone apparently explained to me how he created his story. And the images I have of that are of this person making drawings and titles with every part of the story and one of them was called 'Century of a century'. And I remember that i found that to be a strange title. But apparently those images are part of what i was dreaming before I woke up. Well, I didn't do anything interesting anymore in the evening, besides talking to my mother, to Heidi about the whole incident in front of Thorndon court and to Liban which was very cool. Oh and yesterday also, I went on Hyves. i don't know why, but I just came to look and I watched your profile Meryem and then ended up at the Hyves page of Ebru and wow, she has changed! She has turned into this beautiful young woman, i almost didn't recognize her anymore. So nice to see how everyone changes over the years. I might be signign up for my own Hyves as well, as apparently everyone is using Hyves nowadays. I would have liked if everyone would just use Last.fm, but so far noone seems to want to join in. It's much better and way cooler. Butthat's my opinion. Have a nice day everyone!

No comments: