Wednesday 31 October 2007

Houston We Have A Problem!

We were supposed to have this surprise party for Marion who is celebrating her birthday today. On Saturday I met up with Heidi and Alice in town to make preparations for the party. Clement was busy working and doing his laundry, so he couldnt meet up with us. We decided to cook dinner and Heidi wanted to make a chocolate cake which she's can make very well. On Monday we had another meeting at Alice's place. We had to come up with a way to get Marion to Heidi's place, because we would have the party right there. But last night however, we all received an e-mail from Marion saying that she wanted to invite us all to eat some French products at her house for her birthday Wednesday evening! So then we all of a sudden had a huge problem. Cause we couldnt have her preparing her own party and then call her around 8pm to tell her she has to come over to Heidi's place who needs some help with her Halloween costume, which of course isn't true, but it was just as an excuse to get her there. Well of course we're going to Marion's place right now. We probably still have dinner. Don't know about the chocolate cake, but we'll see. Too bad we couldnt do the surprise party anymore, but we had no other choice. : ( Just came back from town a couple of minutes ago. I went to Tesco after looking at their website and noticing that they did have what i was looking for afterall. I was looking for tofu, but last time I was there I couldn't remember what it was called anymore, so i just tried to discribe that it was something made of soy. But i was told they didn't have any of those products. Turned out they do, if only I had remembered the word 'tofu', 'cause at home we use other words for it. I also went by Wilkinson to buy some plastic boxes where I can keep food in. It's easier as there isn't that much space in my cupboard. Yesterday i talked to Tamar. I went to her office around 2 together with Farhad. I had to choose my courses for the nest semester. Well, Alice and Clement, I will talk to you about it, because apparently there are some places available again for some courses. Cause there was this course about women in world cinema and the course about story-telling. So I've chosen the one about story-telling. So now Tamar will look if she can get me in. So it seems there are some places left again. So if you maybe want to change your courses afterall, you should just ask which ones are available again. The UvA has agreed to let me stay as well, so now I can actually go and pay for my accommodation for the rest of the year. i had not done it before, because I wanted to be sure everything with my courses would turn out alright, but it seems that it will be fine. In the morning, as I had already told i spent time library to watch a documentary. In the afternoon I worked a bit, read some books for my essay and then had dinner a bit earlier than normal. I ate around 6, which nowadays even for me is becoming to be early. I wanted to go to the cinema to watch The Singer (Quand j'etais chanteur) which would start at 6.50. I went by myself as everyone is very busy with writing their essays and taking care of the friends they are having over from France. But i had time, so I went. I really liked the movie, especially Gerard Depardieu. He was really good. The film was both funny and sad at times. Then when I came home I went to do my laundry. I always like it when you've just seen a good movie and then walk back home afterwards. And when I walked home it was already dark and you could see the stars and the moon, which you can see very clearly when there aren't any clouds. At the laundrette I had to wait a while for people to get their laundry out of the washing machines. Two were empty, but they weren't working for some stupid reason. I didn't want to go back home again, because some of the washing machines were already done washing, just the people who were using them had to come and put their clothes in the dryer. And those people could come back every minute. So i wanted to wait. I tried to sleep early last night, but because I had to fold my clothes after drying, I went to bed around 1 am. So today is Marion's birthday, so happy birthday Marion! No longer a teenager, but 20 years old, just like me! It also is Halloween which is really celebrated here. I don't have a costume. But maybe we will go to The Venue tonight for the Halloween party, but don't know if I will be all dressed up. Well...I can always throw a sheet over my head and pretend I'm a ghost.

No comments: